• Special Education

Special Education


Special education law attorney Pamela H. Roth of The Roth Law Firm has more than 10 years of experience working with parents of students with various disabilities, including intellectual disability, borderline functioning, cerebral palsy, emotional disturbance, speech and language deficits, motor skill deficits, autism, Asperger’s and pervasive developmental disorders (PDD).

She has successfully obtained Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and 504 Plans for students, including necessary services ranging from physical access to the classroom and work-study to modified transportation and adaptive equipment; inclusion and pull-out academic and related services; tutoring; full-time special education placements, one-to-one aides, as well as psychiatric level-of-care residential placements for the most challenged student.

Whether you want a less restrictive environment or a more structured one; academic or related services, Pamela H. Roth can assist you in your endeavor. She has helped numerous parents obtain a specialized placement for their children.

What Are My Rights As a Parent?

Many parents are not always aware of their rights or their options regarding access to special education for their children. Children with mental disabilities or physical disabilities are entitled to a Free and Appropriate Education (FAPE). That means they are entitled to whatever services are necessary for them to access their education.

As the parent of a special needs student, you have the right to:

  • Meetings with the school to discuss your child’s progress as frequently as you want
  • Observe your child in the classroom
  • Regular contact with teachers and support staff
  • Access to all of your child’s disciplinary and academic records
  • Confirm what services were provided, when and where, and if the child participated

Trying to obtain the right education services for your child can be an exhausting, frustrating and lengthy process. As an experienced special education lawyer, Pamela Roth knows that securing these services for your child is imperative in order for him or her to get the education that is needed and deserved. As the parent of a struggling student you deserve timely and honest assistance from your school system to secure the educational services that your child rightfully deserves. Unfortunately, all too often the school system drags its feet and denies necessary services. 

The best way to get help for your child is to retain an experienced attorney who can negotiate on your behalf and navigate the special education process at your side.

Depending on your child’s needs, he or she may have a right to special education services, including specialized academic services, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, behavioral support and counseling. Your child may also have a right to a classroom with a low student-teacher ratio; additional staff; part- or full-time aides; and even a full-time educational placement, all funded by the public school system.

At The Roth Law Firm, we help clients understand their rights and pursue their legal options. Pamela Roth has significant experience in special education law, as well as extensive litigation experience, and she represents families throughout. Her litigation skills are utilized in bringing positive results to families whose children need special education services.

Pamela H. Roth assists individuals and families in a wide range of special education law issues, including:

  • Answering questions for families with children in special education
  • Reviewing education records to find solutions
  • Representing parents and surrogate parents in meetings and due process hearings
  • Representing families with children in disciplinary hearings and proceedings
  • Providing other legal services for special education law issues

If you believe that your child has not been given access to special education programs, if you believe that the school’s programs are inadequate or your child is faced with disciplinary matters, it is in your best interest to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible.

For More Information on Special Education Law see the Following Websites:

Wright Law on Education
District of Columbia Public Schools
Prince Georgia County Public Schools
Montgomery County Schools
Blackman/Jones Order

To speak with Pamela H. Roth about special education issues schedule an appointment for an initial consultation, call the firm at 202.445.4861.

The Roth Law Firm PLLC The Roth Law Firm PLLC